Symptoms of postpartum depression can appear any time during pregnancy and the first 12 months after childbirth. If you recognize that help is needed, call your doctor or midwife for a referral to a trained therapist. Also, like this Facebook page for peer support and further guidance. Don't wait to get help!!
Below are common signs pointing out that help is needed.
- Are you feeling sad or depressed?
- Do you feel more irritable or angry with those around you?
- Are you having difficulty bonding with your baby?
- Do you feel anxious or panicky?
- Are you having problems with eating or sleeping?
- Are you having upsetting thoughts that you can’t get out of your mind?
- Do you feel as if you are “out of control” or “going crazy”?
- Do you feel like you never should have become a mother?
- Are you worried that you might hurt your baby or yourself?
Postpartum Support International hosts free, live phone sessions every week, including Wednesday chats for moms and first Monday chats for dads.