Sibling Doula (On-Call Babysitting Service for Labor)
Many people live far away from family and struggle to find a trusted individual to provide overnight (or short notice) childcare during their upcoming labor and birth. We offer a Sibling Doula Service that allows your partner to fully participate in the new baby's birth and/or watch their child while we support the laboring mama for short periods of time. This service provides ample time for extended family to arrive and relieve us from childcare duties. The following services are included at your home or the hospital:
- 24/7 on-call availability to provide childcare for your upcoming labor. This means that your Sibling doula limits the amount of clients (Birth, Postpartum, etc.) that she contracts with for your due month.
- 24 hours of childcare for your older child during the day or night. There is an additional cost for more than one child. We can pick up or drop off your child at daycare, carpool, etc.
- 1 hour long consultation before labor begins so that everyone meets and is comfortable with each other. We want to be informed of the child's health issues, medications, etc. emergency contact person (other than a parent) and ask such details at this meeting.
- We will bring your child to meet their new sibling after you give birth in the hospital. We are happy to take photos of this special moment too.
- If you are birthing at home or the hospital, we will provide doula support to the laboring mama if it is necessary for the other parent to be with the child for short periods of time. If you prefer to have your child present in the labor room, we will explain what is happening during labor so that she or he is not frightened and can participate accordingly. If it becomes necessary to remove your child from the labor room, we will engage him or her in another activity so that you may concentrate on your labor and birth knowing that your child's needs are taken care of.
The needs of every family are different and we are happy to help however we can. Together, we will specify the requirements during our interview by telephone (free) or in-person ($25).
Please understand that a Sibling Doula does NOT replace the need for a Birth Doula during labor. Usually, families have both present during labor and birth.
This Sibling Doula Service is on-call babysitting for your older child during labor. This service includes but is not limited to the following:
- 24/7 on-call availability to provide childcare for your upcoming labor.
- 24 hours of childcare for your child during the day or night.
- 1 hour long consultation before labor begins so that everyone meets and is comfortable with each other.
Please understand that a Sibling Doula does NOT replace the need for a Birth Doula during labor. Usually, families have both doulas present during labor and birth.