Recap: Lamaze Fundamentals for Birth
Hospitals and medical care providers such as your OB or midwife, are often well aware of the latest research and recommendations based on these findings. That's all fine and wonderful until you consider the fact it takes - on average - 17 YEARS for medical professionals to change the way they practice!
The Lamaze Healthy Birth Practices are designed to simplify the birth process in order to alleviate fear and manage discomfort. No matter what type of labor, the length of your labor, or your confidence level, these practices are key to keeping you and your baby as safe and healthy as possible:
- Birth is normal, natural and healthy.
- Women have an innate ability to give birth.
- The experience of birth profoundly affects women and their families.
- Women’s confidence and ability to give birth is either enhanced or diminished by the care provider and place of birth.
- Women have the right to give birth free from routine medical interventions.
- Birth can safely take place in homes, birth centers and hospitals.
- Lamaze childbirth education empowers women to make informed choices in healthcare and take responsibility for their health, and to trust their innate ability to give birth.
Unfortunately, a recent study of women's childbirth experiences showed that interference in the normal processes of labor and birth is extraordinarily common. For instance, labor began by artificial induction for more than one-third of women, almost 70% of women who delivered vaginally were immobile during labor, and 74% of women gave birth lying on their backs.
The Most Comprehensive Pregnancy App Available for Expecting Parents: Lamaze International's Pregnancy to Parenting
In 2015, Lamaze launched its first-ever mobile application for parents, Pregnancy to Parenting. This unique app is complete with evidence-based weekly development updates, daily tips and helpful tools developed by Lamaze Certified Childbirth Educators. This resource is great for expecting parents and their partners to help them keep track of important events, questions to ask, and even has a contraction timer. The best part is that it is free to download - try it today.
Review and Plan
Following your lesson or group class, you will be encouraged to work on your birth plan and have it ready for your prenatal meeting with your doula. Download a sample plan for a medicated labor or our unmedicated "natural" birth.
Feel free to look back at this information at any point, and please don’t hesitate to contact your instructor or doula if you have any questions. Have a healthy and happy pregnancy, birth and postpartum adventure!