3. Suggested Homework
Be Prepared: Plan Ahead and Book Early
- Program your phone with the contact numbers and email addresses of both your primary and secondary doulas.
- Make sure you've completed your Intake Form.
- If you are a Premium Level client, be sure you've registered for Birth Boot Camp (use code PremBBC18 to bypass payment) or arrange an in-home Reboot Refresher to take place around week 35-36 of your pregnancy.
Alternatively, arrange an in-home, intensive Lamaze lesson to take place between weeks 32-36 of your pregnancy. You can schedule the Parent Essentials Lesson to take place before or after baby's birthday.
- Schedule your Birthday Planning session (prenatal meeting) to take place in your home around week 36-37 of your pregnancy. Be sure to select an appointment with your PRIMARY doula.
- Prepare your Birth Preferences / Plan. Read our sample birth plans and draft your own so we can review it together at our Birthday Planning session (prenatal meeting). Please don't begin writing your plan until your childbirth class is complete or close to completion.
- Review our recommended list of items to pack in your hospital labor bag. It is a good idea for you to own a birth ball, an essential oil for relaxation/aromatherapy, a string of christmas lights, and a rice sock or heating pad. Have fun shopping!
Reserve Perinatal Services and Classes
- Schedule a private, in-home breastfeeding lesson or register for this online class series. The team at Milk Drunk can teach you some tricks even if you don't have breastfeeding issues or questions.
- If desired, purchase a Placenta Healing package to encapsulate your placenta post-birth. Be sure to mention us to save 10%.
- Check with the Red Cross or your hospital about Infant CPR classes.
- Reserve postpartum parent and newborn care via 4 or 8 hour shifts provided by our team at Parent Nurture. You can also arrange a private, in-home infant care class.
- Reserve personal culinary services by MamaFare, stock the freezer or line up a meal train.
- The Birth Partner - a childbirth class in a book! THIS IS A MUST-DO.
- Ina May's Guide to Childbirth - lots of birth stories and statistical information about birth in America.
- The Baby Book - just one of the many wonderful reference guides by Dr. Sears.
- The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding - exactly what you'll need if you plan to breastfeed.
- Tips for the Labor Partner - our recommendations for your labor; timing contractions, staying relaxed.
- The Business of Being Born - an incredible eye-opening movie about the state of childbirth in the US.